Saturday, June 16, 2012

Drama, Murder and Love

I used to read all the time but in recent years the amount has dropped to almost nothing.  So one of my New Year resolutions was start reading again.  Writing them up and putting them on my blog is one way of keeping me on track.
 
I have just finished reading some books a work colleague lent me. 

The Narrows by Michael Connelly. 
This is one of detective Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch series.  Not a bad read but I think there have been others in this series which were better.  This book seemed to be tying up loose ends and I found the ending unsatisfactory.

PAST THE SHALLOWS by Favel Parrett
The story is set in the wild and beautiful south east coast of Tasmania.  At first I thought it was a story for adolescents.  But as I progressed I became riveted.  By the end I had to finish it in one sitting, couldn’t put it down.  This is a story of loss, vulnerability, secrets and the love of brothers.

This is Favel Parrett’s first novel.  I hope more stories will follow.

The Many Conditions of Love by Farahad Zama
This is the second book in the series set around a marriage bureau.   This is a quick and pleasant read, a good story.  It was interesting to read of everyday life in modern India.

Some of the reviews report that the first book one is better so I will try to get the first book - The Marriage Bureau for Rich People.

I have also had some books from the library.

Death of a Snob by M. C. Beaton.
This is number six in the Hamish MacBeth mysteries.  I have read some of the Agatha Raisin series written by M.C. Beaton but not the MacBeth series.  This is an enjoyable story.  The main character, Constable Hamish MacBeth, is a charming Scottish policeman very likeable even if he is a bit of a lad.  This story is set on the wild windswept island of Eileencraig rather than Hamish’s usual setting of Lochdubh.  This was a pleasant easy read.
 
I used to watch the television series, Hamish MacBeth, back in the 1990s with my then young son.  Robert Carlyle played the character of Hamish Macbeth.  It was nice, non-confronting, family entertainment.  The series is back on television again.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could read more Skye, but as my eyesight is not good I have to borrow large print books from the library and there is not a good selection. I love the Hamish McBeth TV series and it is back on Channel 72 here...Loz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put a couple of these on my to read list. I LOVE HAMISH MACBETH! I own the dvds - I can watch them anytime and I've read a couple of the books. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete